3806NRS Professional Nursing Practice – A3 Written Assignment
(Individual) Quality and Safety
The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC) developed the
National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards to ‘protect the public from
harm and to improve the quality of health service provision’ (ACSQHC, 2021, p. 5). The
Registered Nurse is integral to every one of these standards.
The aim of this assignment is for you to develop your understanding of quality improvement
(QI) concepts in health care, and to analyse and evaluate an organisational issue in the context
to the NSQHS for quality improvement and safety in an acute health care setting.
This assessment item will address
course learning outcome 2.
Evaluate the effectiveness of organisational and professional standards for quality
improvement and safety in health
This assessment item
has two parts: Part A focuses on a key quality improvement issue, a
clinical care activity and effective strategies to meet the NSQHS Standards in an acute health
care setting. Part B focuses on the analysis and evaluation of the effectiveness of a quality
improvement program to improve adherence to a NSQHS Standard.
For this task you need to write
a 2000 word structured essay that addresses
Part A and Part B. You must use headings throughout your essay.
For Part A of your essay you need to choose ONE clinical scenario (see below), and using relevant and appropriate literature:
Clinical scenarios (choose ONE from numbers 1 to 5)
A tertiary hospital’s annual report highlighted the main areas for quality improvement. A Registered Nurse (RN) has been assigned 10% of their work time to “Quality Improvement (QI)” in order to assist the clinic in addressing long-standing quality of care issues and to begin working on operational and clinical improvements.
The five priority areas for quality improvement include:
1) Surgical site infection rates have increased by more than 5% in patients with total knee replacements due to poor hand hygiene, as staff did not follow the 5-Moments for Hand Hygiene protocol.
2) The incidence of pressure injuries have risen in the rehabilitation ward, particularly for older adults. According to a subsequent audit report, the key concerns were a lack of detail about the screening and assessment processes used by healthcare staff to prevent and manage pressure injuries.
3) The incidence of omissions in nursing care have risen due to non-comprehensive clinical handover, especially when transferring the patients from the operating theatre to the general surgical ward, as no clearly structured handover tools were used by the nursing staff.
4) There has been a 5% increase in the incidence of near-miss blood transfusion errors in the pre-transfusion checking procedures as staff were unfamiliar with policies and guidelines for the administration of blood products.
5) Overall patient satisfaction has decreased 10% from last year due to the COVID pandemic causing a shortage of healthcare staff.
Part B – Analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of a quality improvement program (suggested word count is 600 words for this part)
For Part B of your essay, you need to analyse and evaluate the following full-text research article and complete the tasks below:
Oberai, T., Laver, K., Woodman, R., Crotty, M., Kerkhoffs, G., & Jaarsma, R. (2021). Does implementation of a tailored intervention increase adherence to a National Safety and Quality Standard? A study to improve delirium care. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 33 (1), 1- 7. doi:10.1093/intqhc/mzab006
Essay formatting guidelines:
Include student name, student number, total word count
Include section headings in the body of your essay:
Insert letters a) to g) for each subsection response.
References (start on new page)