For the Skills Demonstration portion of your assessment, you are required to complete a work-related process improvement project that demonstrates the range of skills you have learned on the course.
Ideally, your project should be relevant to your current or previous work environment and practical work-based examples should be given to support your work. It is recommended that you discuss the project with your line manager to explore and agree on how the task could be used to support the needs of your employer (as well as evidencing your learning as part of completing your certification).
If you are not currently working within an organization, then you may complete this task in relation to an organization with which you are familiar.
The first part of this task is to develop a correct and appropriate plan to improve a workplace project using lean production and improvement methodologies. You are then required to implement an appropriate improvement to service delivery using the plan, ensuring that efficient and effective controls and monitoring techniques have been, or are being, used to ensure the continuing implementation of the improvement project.
The second part of the task requires you to evaluate the success of the improvement project in order to provide a conclusion or recommendations that explain how it is controlled to produce long term sustainability of the improvement.
You are then required to develop & write an accurate and appropriate report on the improvement project that articulates the development of the improvement project, including a context-setting introduction and a project result(s) summation, supported by appropriate appendices.
Your project should address the following 10 primary elements at a minimum and any additional elements unique to your individual project sensitivities or characteristics.
1. DEFINE: Identify an opportunity to improve a process and define the current state problem
2. MEASURE: Identify and apply suitable measurement methods to characterize the current state
3. Analyze: Evaluate and analyze the process against business objectives or representative industry benchmark
4. IMPROVE: Identify appropriate improvements and support the selection with data illustrating the justification
5. CONTROL: Outline the control methods that you will apply to secure & maintain the improvement
This written assignment should be presented in an essay style and demonstrate that you have researched and now understand Lean Six Sigma tools and techniques. Practical work-based examples should be given to support your work. Your essay must include an Introduction, Main Body, and Summary/Conclusion.
1. Research and discuss lean thinking to include the five lean principles, the eight wastes & outline the benefits of a customer-centric focus in the development of CTQ parameters.
2. Research and discuss the benefits of a Kaizen intervention and outline how this differs from a full-blown DMAIC project.
3. Research, outline and discuss Value Stream Mapping methodologies, capturing “current state” definition and “future state” visioning.
4. Research and Explain 5 Lean Improvement tools (OEE, TPM, 5S, KanBan, SMED) and 5 Lean Measurement / Analysis Tools (TAKT Time, FMEA, DPMO, Pareto, Ishikawa Fishbone Diagram)