Air Canada’s IT Strategies
For this assignment, use Karimi-Alaghehband and Rivard’s 2014 case study about Air Canada, and Luftman and Kempaiah’s 2007 article, “An Update on Business-IT Alignment: ‘A Line’ Has Been Drawn.” The other readings for the unit will also be useful as you evaluate Air Canada’s strategies. Please respond to the following questions:
- The outsourcing approach and the IT department structure at Air Canada changed often between 1994 and 2011, when Air Canada signed its first contract with IBM and when the case study was written, respectively. What changes occurred and why do you think they occurred?
- Managing the information resource of a firm focused both on “engaging with customers” and competing “more effectively on multiple levels against the low-pricing structures offered by low-cost carriers” entailed many challenges, which Air Canada’s CIO and her team had been addressing in multiple ways. How was Air Canada addressing these challenges in 2011?
- Based on Luftman and Kempaiah’s five-level maturity model, at which level of alignment is Air Canada’s IT and business alignment? What challenges did Air Canada face in reaching this stage? What are the challenges now?
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should demonstrate proper APA formatting and style. You do not need to include a cover page or abstract, but be sure to include your name, assignment title, and page number in the running header of each page. Use meaningful section headings to clarify the organization and readability of your paper.
- Number of references: Include a minimum of six references from your unit readings and assigned research; the sources should be appropriately cited throughout your paper and in your reference list.
- Suggested paper length: 700–1000 words.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Prior to writing this assignment, please be sure to view the Air Canada’s IT Strategies Scoring Guide to learn how to maximize your score. Your paper is due by the end of this week. You may use the resources provided to help you with your research and writing.