Learners are required to complete two skills demonstration tasks. LOS 5-10
The skills demonstration tasks that must be completed under supervision, include:
1. A paired reading activity with a child who has a physical or intellectual impairment
2. A communication activity with a non-verbal child. (Activity two is to be a care routine in the setting such as feeding, toileting, general hygiene or dressing)
Written Report Word Count: 1000-1500 words each using references where appropriate to show a detailed understanding of working in the special needs sector.
The learner will be required to submit a supervisor’s report for each activity, which must be signed by their supervisor.
Before devising a paired reading activity, it will be imperative to show evidence that the learner has assessed the child’s needs through informal observations and collaboration with the teacher and observed reading activities in the setting. The child and the teacher should be involved in the choice of book. Provide a short introduction giving this evidence.
1. Provide a brief background of the child which will include:
2. Type of book that would be used for paired reading activity. Why are you using the type of book that you have chosen?
3. Factors to consider before carrying out the paired reading activity.
4. Benefits of paired reading for that particular child in relation to
5. Other factors to be considered during activity (health & safety, assistive technology, etc.)
6. Reflection on skills demonstration