School of Engineering, Design and Built Environment
Construction Technology 5 (Envelope), CIVL4003, Autumn 2022
CT5 ASSIGNMENT 1: Light, Heat and Sound
Before attempting this assignment, please carefully read these notes:
- This assignment must be submitted through Turnitin in Microsoft Word format on vUWS
- For each question, the response MUST be only one page including the question. The fonts size should be between 11 and 13 in Microsoft Word.
- In all questions, in addition to your text response, you need to include photo(s), and diagram(s) in your answers.
- Those illustrations must be provided by yourself. Diagram(s) and drawings can be either hand-drawn or digitally drawn.
- All diagrams and graphs should be annotated and have footnote.
- It is recommended to answer the questions gradually based on the weekly teaching content and discussions in the tutorials.
- Where you use resources other than Learning Modules, they must be referenced in your response page in a standard method, e.g. Harvard method.
- Read the Module Guide pdf files in each Learning Module folder on vUWS.
- Discuss your responses in the tutorials with your tutor, weekly.
- Watch the Paul Geier videos on vUWS, at Learning Modules.
- The Book: Szokolay, S.V. (2008), Introduction to Architectural Science: The Basis of Sustainable Design, Elsevier, Oxford –
This is available as an E-Book through the WSU Library website.
Light (two questions)
- Identify an interior space (or room) in a real building (could be your home or workplace), that the amount of artificial lighting isn’t enough or appropriate for a certain activity in that space. (provide one photo) Explain why do you think the artificial lighting isn’t suitable?
Provide three solutions to improve the artificial lighting quality and/or quantity. Use explanation, and your own-drawn diagram or drawing. (8 marks, just one page)
- Identify an interior space (or room) in a real building (could be your home or workplace), that the amount or quality of daylight isn’t enough or appropriate in a part of that space for a certain activity. (provide one photo) Explain why do you think the daylighting isn’t suitable?
Provide three solutions to improve the daylighting quality and/or quantity. Use explanation, and your own-drawn diagram or drawing. (8 marks, just one page, introduce references)
Heat (two questions)
- Identify the exterior wall of your home that the most heat transmission happens through it in summer or winter (provide a photo). Explain why did you select that wall?
Draw a scaled section (1:10) from that wall and introduce materials and their thicknesses, per your knowledge and opinion. Calculate the thermal resistance of the wall.
Add a layer of cavity or insulation to the wall so that its thermal resistance will be doubled.
(8 marks, just one page)
- Identify one place showing the use of Thermal Mass in your home (provide a photo).
Explain how it contributes to passive cooling or heating for your home. Provide a solution to improve its thermal performance. Use explanation and your own-drawn diagram.
(8 marks, just one page)
Sound (one question)
- Identify an interior wall or a floor in your home or workplace that unwanted sound transmission (noise) happens through it (provide a photo). Describe how the sound transmits and provide three appropriate solutions to reduce the noise. Use explanation and your own-drawn diagram. (8 marks, just one page)