On completion of this module a successful student will be able to:
- Recognize and analyze the structure of the music business, and appraise importantly contemporary issues in the discipline.
- Interpret and evaluate key terms in music business contracts and agreements.
- Discuss issues and communicate effectively with industry professionals and advisors.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of career planning, business planning, and self-management issues.
- Define and discuss the structure of the contemporary music business?
- Identify recording, publishing, and live music income streams?
- Identify and evaluate key issues in the contemporary music industry?
- Define and discuss key terms in management contracts, recording agreements, publishing contracts, and other relevant industry agreements?
- Interpret and evaluate these terms using real-world examples?
Business Case Study (2,500 words)
- Present a critical case study analysis of a current music company, commenting on some or all of the following aspects where these are relevant.
These topics are suggested ideas, and you may find that you want to revise them or add other areas for discussion as you see fit:
- The business plan of the company
- The vision and ethos of the business
- The ownership of the business
- The history of the company
- Their sector of operations (manufacturing/services/technology/etc.)
- The management and staffing structure
- The production and/or operation procedures
- The public profile and marketing
- The company’s USP
- The company’s competitors
- The artist roster and A&R policy (where relevant)
- Legal and copyright issues relevant to the company
- The company’s use of technology and new media
- How the company is positioned in relation to current developments in the industry
- The company’s international profile
- Comment critically on the relative strengths and/or weaknesses of the company, in these and other areas. Use appropriate reading and secondary research, including a fully referenced bibliography.