How Reflection Can Influence Your Practice as a Qualified Nurse
Assessment 3 – 2500 words
The title of the essay is: – Critically discuss how reflection can influence your practice as a qualified nurse
You are required to submit a 2500 word essay where you will be required to demonstrate, through critical analysis, how you have developed your nursing skills and attitudes in preparation for entry onto the professional register. The work should be presented in college approved format, referenced, written in the first or third person and should include the following components:-
- As the reflective accounts will refer to an actual event, all names and locations must be changed in order to maintain confidentiality in accordance with NMC Standards of conduct, performance and ethics for nurses and midwives (2018) and the NMC Guidance on Professional Conduct for Nursing & Midwifery Students (2009) and a statement to this effect MUST be included in your reflective account
- Using example(s) from your portfolio and appendix 1 and 2 demonstrate how you will progress from student nurse to qualified nurse.
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and attitudes that satisfy the NMC requirements for registration • The assignment should be supported by relevant and up to date literature. As this essay, and accompanying appendices, will refer to an actual event(s) all names and locations must be changed in order to maintain confidentiality in accordance with NMC Standards of conduct, performance and ethics for nurses and midwives (2018) and the NMC Guidance on Professional Conduct for Nursing & Midwifery Students (2009) and a statement to this effect MUST be included in your essay. Failure to maintain confidentiality will normally result in the award of 0 in line with the College of Human & Health Sciences confidentiality policy.
Marking Criteria for Level six.
– Essay The essay should include the following;
- Content will also vary, but should set the scene for the main body of the assignment. Generally the introduction will contain some background information on the topic, a rationale for the choice of topic/client/service user and an outline of the structure adopted. This should be based on the reading you have undertaken. To include in action and on action reflection.
2). Identification of key issue(s) to base the reflective essay on.
- From the reflective example(s) chosen from the portfolio, identify how these reflection(s) issues will be addressed and will assist in developing their future practice.
- Your key issue(s) should be critically discussed using appropriate supportive literature; the student should be able to demonstrate how they can use reflection to critically review their future progression from being a student nurse to becoming a registered nurse.
3). Critically discuss how the student addressed these issues and how this will influence their future practice • The student is then expected to discuss and critique how using reflection will impact on their role as a qualified nurse.
- This should provide a summary of the work and draw the main points together, highlighting any issues of importance. You should not be providing any new material at this point.
5). References (APA)
For work at level 6 a wide range of literature should be used, drawing upon specialist journals and texts as necessary. It is expected that the literature used will be up to date (less than 5 years old), where possible.
6). Appendices • Appendices are not included in the word count; as such they do not contribute to the final mark. Your chosen reflection(s) should be held in the appendix. The word count should not exceed 2500 words.