In a written paper, discuss the major principles of this leadership theory including analysis of the
key characteristics and behaviours of these types of nursing leaders. Explain any positive or
negative effects this leadership style may have on the nursing team and discuss which components
of this theory present a valuable guide towards effective nursing leadership in the clinical setting
(i.e. in areas such as managing change, conflict resolution, teamwork, emotional intelligence).
Justify how a Registered Nurse practising this leadership style could specifically demonstrate
various, relevant criteria of the “Registered Nurse Standards for Practice” (NMBA, 2016).
Use scholarly work and current literature to justify your discussions.
Assessment Criteria for Written Paper:
• The written paper should be written in academic format including an introduction, discussion
• The paper should display appropriate literacy skills, be clearly written, structured and
• Acknowledgement of sources and correct APA referencing as per APA Style 6th Edition (Perrin, 2018).
• Content must be based upon Australian, current literature and research (references no more than 8-10 years old). Current journal articles and textbooks must be the main source of references.
• For a paper of this size, it is expected that a minimum of 20 appropriate resources be
1. Introduction (2.5%) 100 words
Presents a clear and concise introduction explaining what will be covered in the paper.
EXPECTATIONS: The introduction is excellent, well designed and clearly written. All major concepts relevant to the topic are clear and concise, and expressed clearly to guide the reader.
2. Analysis of leadership theory (20%) 400 words
Discusses the major principles of the leadership theory including analysis of key characteristics and behaviours of this type of nursing leader.
EXPECTATIONS: Discussion demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the defining characteristics and behaviours of the selected leadership theory in nursing. *Excellent justification and evidence.
3. Application of leadership theory (30%) 700 words
Appraises any positive or negative effects this leadership style may have on the nursing team. Discusses how components of the theory presents a valuable guide towards effective leadership within the clinical setting (i.e. managing change, conflict resolution, teamwork, practicing emotional intelligence).
EXPECTATIONS: Offers an excellent appraisal on the positive or negative effects this leadership style may have on the nursing team. Response demonstrates excellent discussion of how the nurse leader can apply components of the selected theory to enable effective leadership within the clinical setting. High level concepts are insightful, justifiable, and well thought out. *Excellent justification and evidence.
4. Discussion reflecting “Registered Nurse Standards for Practice” (NMBA, 2016) (25%) 500 words
Provides examples of how applying principles of this leadership style in clinical practice reflects various relevant criteria of the “Registered nurse standards for practice” (NMBA, 2016).
EXPECTATIONS: Excellent discussion of how an RN practising the selected leadership style reflects application of an extensive range of criteria from the standards. The chosen areas of the standards are highly relevant in this discussion. Concepts are insightful and well thought out. *Excellent justification and evidence.
5. Conclusion (2.5%) 100 words
Clear and concise conclusion summarises the main points covered in the assignment.
EXPECTATIONS: The conclusion is well designed and expressed. Ideas and issues are summed up in a succinct and meaningful way.