This assignment will give students the opportunity to examine the research and find evidenced based nursing practice that is related to current trends and issues in medical-surgical nursing. Students will apply that research in developing a nursing care plan that will help promote health for a medical-surgical client.
This assignment contains 3 parts completed in two components. First, you will write a scholarly paper on a procedure or trend/issue that impacts the health of a medical-surgical client. Second, you will then apply your scholarly paper findings/research to describe how the evidence best supports the change of nursing procedure/trend/issue and the impact of the change on the health outcomes of the client. Third, this evidence will then be applied in a nursing care plan for a theoretical medical-surgical client.
- Select a topic from the list below or you may select a topic that interests you, but speak with your instructor first if you are choosing your own topic.
- Care and use of different types of chest tubes (e.g., wet/dry/Heimlich valves).
- Increasing incidents of a super infection (ESBL, BRE, and MRSA) in the acute care setting and how these can be avoided. Choose one super infection to focus on.
- Types and trends of post-operative infections in the acute care setting in Alberta.
- Clean vs sterile techniques for tracheostomy care, bladder irrigation, or intermittent catheterization.
- Preventing complications such as DVTs, respiratory complications, and skin breakdown in the immobilized acute care client (skeletal traction, external fixators, strict bed rest etc.). Choose one complication to focus on.
- Issues of early discharge of the post-operative client from the acute care setting.
- Research your topic of choice. Provide a brief description of the procedure or trend/issue. In your research include:
- Compare previous and current practice
- Include evidence based practice that promotes the health of the medical-surgical client in the hospital following their discharge home
- Identify teaching information that is important for the medical-surgical client that promotes health of the client specific to the chosen procedure/trend/issue.
- Part A needs to include the following:
- Typewritten and follows APA 6thEdition formatting guidelines
- Utilize headings (see marking guide for headings)
- Contains a title, introduction/conclusion, and body of the paper
- Support your findings with the literature (peer reviewed articles, journal, or textbooks)
- No more than 3 pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages)
- Reference page must include at least 3 current resources (within 7 years)
- Create a care plan (template below) based on the evidence-based research from part A.
- Write 3 nursing diagnoses that relate to the topic that you have researched
- One addressing a priority (an actual problem from the research in part A)
- One addressing a potential complication
- One addressing an educational need
- Write 1 goal for each nursing diagnosis, and1 expected outcome for each goal using the SMART criteria.
- Write 3 nursing interventions for each goal. Support each intervention with evidence from the literature
- Include interventions applicable to the care of the client, and health promotion teaching that is applicable to the acute-care setting or the home setting after discharge
- Interventions should be specific and measurable
- Interventions must directly relate to achieving the goal and represent best practice in nursing from your research paper
- Write 1 evaluative statement for each goal to indicate how each goal could be met. This is a hypothetical statement and indicates how you, as the nurse, would know if the stated goal and outcome were achieved
- Part B will utilize the Care Plan template