The purpose of this assignment is to learn how to identify and effectively manage conflicts that arise in care delivery settings resulting in better management of patient care, including appropriate delegation. You will gain insight into conflict management strategies and develop a plan to collaborate with a potential nurse leader about the conflict and its impact in a practice setting.
Completion of this assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
- CO1: Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision of high-quality nursing care, healthcare team management, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings. (PO2)
- CO3: Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to enable systems to change. (PO7)
- CO6: Develop a personal awareness of complex organizational systems, and integrate values and beliefs with organizational mission. (PO7)
- CO7: Apply leadership concepts in the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystems and system-wide practice improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery. (PO2 and PO3)
Submit your paper by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT, end of Week 3.
This assignment is worth 200 points.
- Read Finkelman (2016), Chapter 13: Improving Teamwork: Collaboration, Coordination, and Conflict Resolution, section on Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, pp. 324-333.
- Watch tutorial below.
- Write a 5-7 page paper (not including the title or References pages). Consult your APA manual and consider using the APA template provided in the library.
- You are required to complete this assignment using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
- For this assignment:
- Identify a recurring conflict with the potential to negatively impact patient care.
- This should be from your practice setting or prelicensure experiences.
- Provide details of what happened, including who was involved, what was said, where it occurred, and what was the outcome that led you to decide the conflict was unresolved.
- Review and discuss the four stages of conflict as found in Finkelman.
- Identify and explain how the stages of conflict relate to the example in your workplace.
- Describe, in detail, the best strategy for conflict resolution
- Your rationale should be from the textbook and two scholarly articles.
- Describe how you would collaborate with a nurse leader to reach consensus on the best strategy to deal with the conflict.
- Provide a summary or conclusion about this experience or assignment and how you may deal with conflict more effectively in the future.
- Please reach out to your instructor with any questions as you prepare your assignment.
- Please use your browser’s File setting to save or print this page.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Use the rubric as a final check prior to submission to ensure all content is clearly addressed.
SCHOLARLY SOURCES AND CITATIONS
- Please cite the course textbook and two scholarly sources in APA format.
- Scholarly references must be published within the last 5 years from the Chamberlain library only.
- You must provide the permalink.
- Paraphrasing information, rather than quoting, is expected. No quotes for this assignment please!