Outline current legislation relating to special needs education in Ireland in order to demonstrate your understanding and application of the same in relation to your role as an SNA.
You are required to outline each act and examine how they apply in practice with examples;
- The Education Act 1998
- The National Disability Authority Act 1999
- The Education Welfare Act of 2000
- The Equal Status Act 2000
- The Education for Persons with Special Needs Act 2004
This section of your project requires you to evaluate the findings of your project pieces 1, 2, 3, and draw together logical conclusions with an emphasis on the following:
- The policy changes that led toward integration and inclusion
- The shift in attitudes with reference to the social and medical models of disability
- The value of an inclusive education and integration policies
This piece of your project requires you to demonstrate your ability to reflect and offer your views and opinions.
You are required to:
- Outline the value of significant National policies and pieces of legislation
- Make recommendations to improve special needs provision in Ireland relating to gaps in current legislation and policy
- Give appropriate links to International policy in relation to children with special needs to justify policies
- With your new understanding of policy and legislation reflect on your attitudes, values, beliefs, and assumptions in relation to working with people who present with disabilities.