Students must choose one out of these six essay questions:
1. Outline ‘ethnic discrimination theory’ and examine whether this theory can help explain ethnic inequalities in schooling and employment outcomes.
2. Outline ‘ individualization theory’ and discuss to what extent this theory allows us to understand individuals’ lives in contemporary society.
3. Explain ‘post-materialist theory’ and discuss how post-materialist values have influenced demographic outcomes in recent decades.
4. Outline the ‘income inequality hypothesis’ and examine to what extent this hypothesis can explain individuals’ well-being in contemporary societies.
5. Define the sociological concept of ‘precarious work’ and discuss to what extent precarious jobs impact individuals’ well-being in contemporary societies.
6. Define and explain the concept of ‘socialization’ and assess how socialization processes can shape individuals’ gender roles across the life course.