Pork and Lamb Carcass Evaluation Practice
Instructions to Read and Understand First Before Starting this Assignment
First thing to do to prepare for the assignment:
- You will have to log into this website: https://login.icevonline.com/mycourses/CAMPB208. You will have to login here to watch all of the necessary videos to complete the assignment. I tried to download the necessary videos for this assignment, however I could not download the videos from the website, so I am giving you access to the website and will explain step by step how to navigate through everything you will need to complete the assignment correctly. These videos have to be watched first in order to gain understanding of how to judge the below animals. My username to get into the website is bani1416 and my password is Once you are into the website, the class is called ANSC 301- Animal & Carcass Evaluation.
- Next once you have logged into the website, the page will welcome you and then look under My Courses and you will see the name of the class listed there (ANSC 301- Animal & Carcass Evaluation and click on view to view the videos.
- Find the lesson named: Meat Judging Fundamentals-CC, Lamb Carcass- 10 (with officials), Lamb Carcass-11 (with officials), Lamb Carcass Evaluation (under this module if you look at the top of the page and it will say select playlist and click the down arrow and you can view more videos on lamb evaluation and fabrication to help you under how to correctly place the carcass) , Pork Carcass-1 (with officials), Pork Carcass-11 (with officials), and Pork Carcass Evaluation (under this module as well, if you look at the top of the page and it will say select playlist and click the down arrow and you can view more videos on pork evaluation and fabrication to help you under how to correctly place the carcass) on the left-hand side of the page and click on the green box beside each lesson mentioned above to View Lessons (on the right side of the page). In these lessons, you will watch all the videos on lamb and pork carcasses under these lessons and take key notes on all these videos listed above (pay close attention to everything being shown in these videos because this information will be helpful when working on ranking these carcasses for this assignment). Make sure you understand how to judge and rank pork and lamb carcasses after watching these videos.
- Next, once you have watched the videos listed above to have an idea of what we will be doing for this assignment, I would keep this tab open in your computer to use as a reference to refer too for assistance while working on the assignment I will be listing further down below. In the new tab, log back into the website and once you click on the course name again, look for the below lessons and click on view lessons for these lessons. Now for the ranking part of the assignment for the lamb and pork carcasses, watch the videos under each lesson I am listing below closely.
- Lamb Carcasses- 14 (WITH NO Officials)
- Lamb Carcasses – 15 (WITH NO Officials)
- Pork Carcasses – 14 (WITH NO Officials)
- Pork Carcasses – 15 (WITH NO Officials)
Second thing to do to prepare for the assignment:
- After watching all the videos above in numbers 3 and 4 and understanding all the videos. Then, this is what you have to do for this assignment:
- So, for the Lamb Carcass 14, 15 (with no officials) and Pork Carcass 14, 15 (with no officials) the professor wants us to watch all the videos on Lamb and Pork Carcass 14 and 15 and, rank the livestock correctly according to all the videos you have watched on correct official placing and then use those tools you have learned to rank the lamb and pork carcasses 14 and 15. We will be given a grade based on how well your placings are with the official placing of the judges once the professor grades your placing results. Please take your time and watch all videos listed above in 2 and 3 to help you with these decisions. This counts as a major grade, so please take your time and make sure you are placing everything correctly.
- The carcass evaluations are placed like the live animal classes. You have four carcasses in a class and then you place them based on the things you learned in all of the lessons listed above for lamb and pork. There are cuts for the placings just like for the live animals. The emphasis is on shape and quality for lambs and swine, not so much yield, as shown in the lessons listed in number 2.
- How to rank your placing for Lamb and Pork Carcass 14 and 15 on the one-page word document
- You are supposed to watch each video on Lamb and Pork Carcass 14 and 15, and rank 1 to 4 each class of animals after you watch each video. Also keep in mind when evaluating all these animals that Muscle is a big factor and the amount of fat. Below is how this assignment should be done and submitted on a word document with just the results of for example: 2-1-3-4, or in whatever order you feel is correct after watching the videos and making an ideal decision on the order for each category of animals. Each video will have the animals numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. It is clearly indicated which animal is which by looking very closely at all photos. Take your time with the scoring and ranking!!!
- If you like the 2 the best, then 3 for second, 1 was third best and 4 was last or bottom, your submission would be: 2-3-1-4. If this is correct your score will be 50 points. Please use “-” or “.” between each animal number so I know the order you prefer the placing.
- Example of a layout of what your final placing should look like on the word document before submission:
Lamb Carcass 14 (With No Officials) Placing 1-2-3-4
Lamb Carcass 15 (With No Officials) Placing 2-1-4-3
Pork Carcass 14 (With No Officials) Placing 3-1-2-4
Pork Carcass 15 (With No Officials) Placing 4-2-1-3
- For this assignment, please do all work in (Arial 12) and submit everything in a one-page word document. Please watch all videos and make sure you understand the assignment before submission.